The entrance to Farnham Castle. A photograph from Edith Gibsonís album.
William Gibsonís children.
- William Gibson:
- Born on 28th June 1804 in Liverpool, he was ordained in the Church of England and was appointed to a living in Chester. There he met and, in 1831, married Eliza Maria Sumner, third daughter of John Bird Sumner, 1780-1862, bishop of Chester and later Archbishop of Canterbury.
William and Eliza had two children:
- Marianne, called May:
- John Sumner,
- 1833-1892, without children.
Eliza Sumner Gibson died in 1836.
In 1837 William Gibson met Louisanna Sumner, eldest daughter of Charles Richard Sumner, 1790-1874, Bishop of Winchester, who resided at Farnham Castle, Surrey, and brother of Bishop John Sumner. They were married on 12th September, 1837, Louisannaís 20th birthday.
William and Louisanna had eleven children:
- Ella Sophia:
- 1838-1928, m 1858, rev Henry Heywood, Vicar of Swinton, Lancashire, and had eight children.
- Emily Louisa:
- 1840-1887, unmarried.
- Ada Frances:
- 1841-1893, married 1867, rev Sanders Etheridge, Rector of Haslemere, and had three children.
- Edith Harriet:
- 1842-1922, married 1872, rev William Durst, Rector of St Maryís, Southampton, and had nine children.
- Arthur Sumner:
- b 1844, married 1884, Mary Hesketh, and had three children.
- Herbert William Sumner:
- 1846-1923, rear admiral, married 1876, Margaret Anderson, without issue.
- Edgar Charles Sumner:
- 1848-1924, bishop of Gloucester, married 1875, Mary Philpott, and had five children.
- Walter Sumner:
- b 1849, married 1884, Julia Olivier, and had six children.
- Rosa Fanny:
- 1850-1904, m 1878, rev Oliver Walford, Rector of Lyss, Hampshire, without issue.
- Florence Jennie:
- 1853-1911, unmarried.
- Alan George Sumner:
- b 1856, coadjutor bishop of Cape Town, unmarried.